Tuesday, August 8, 2017

the Eclipse of July 1963



As a kid, I always listened to what I was told, especially on the radio and TV. I remember I heeded all the warnings and hid in the basement one Saturday in July of 1963. The story was if you so much as glimpsed at the sun during that fateful afternoon you would be blinded for life.

My father and older brother somehow missed the advice. They were working on a trellis in the front yard when they noticed the sun looking weird.

"Look up at the sky!" my brother yelled. My father looked up. Several of the neighbors looked up.

"Doesn't the sun look weird!" my father said. They came and told me after the eclipse was over. I hate to admit it but I was a little disappointed that I wasn't the only sighted one in the family after that. Rather, things went on normally.

Editor's note: Don't look up at the sky on the 21st without the right eye ware. Prudence is the better part of valor.

No comments: